Running Gear For The Runners Who Don’t Like Having Hands and Holding Things
Yesterday I decided to go for a run for the first time in ten years…
While I did have an amazing and scenic running tour of Battery Park and the Financial District, the new Freedom Tower and a few amazing views of sail boats crossing paths with the Statue of Liberty, I did at one point very attractively dry heave photo bomb a family taking a picture next to me because I forgot to bring any kind of water source.
I also forgot to bring my card or cash, so buying water at a hot dog stand was out of the question. Later I threw my house keys through the park grass while I was stretching and talking to my mom on the phone and had to have them handed back to me by a stranger because I hadn’t noticed they had even left my hands. Add to that the fact that my headphones were too big for my ears and fell out the entire run and that I completely forgot to pay attention to anything like time or distance, and you are reading the words of one of the most half assed, unorganized runners on the planet. But I ran 5 miles! I think.
So today I made a list (and used BIGWORDS.com to compare prices) of the things I would preferably like to have on my next run. Maybe it will help you too?
At one point I realized my phone was a bit of a nuisance, seeing that even though I was smack in the middle of a five mile run I still had to reply to any text I received as if I was lounging in a bikini in Central Park. If I could ever break the addiction, I think a small shuffle that I can clip on me would be a fair replacement for my phone. But who am I kidding.
- The shuffle has 2GB of reliable flash memory that holds hundreds of songs, plus playlists, Genius Mixes, podcasts and audio books
- Integrated Clip: The strong integrated clip attaches to your clothes or bag so that it stays with you at all times, even during long runs
Retail Price: $49.99
I’ve bought these before and lost all three of them. But they were great when I had them, even if they were generic versions of the real deal. And way better than the quarter sized head phones I was trying to continuously mash into my ears yesterday. Oh and $0.01? Come on.
- 3 – Pack, Brand New
- Built-in microphone for hands free conversations; Premium sound quality
- High-Quality earphones for iPod, iPhone and all other MP3 players.
- Standard 3.5mm earphone plug fits all MP3 players with 3.5mm jack
- Stylish design (non OEM) to fit your iPod, iPhone or other MP3players.
Retail Price: $8.99
If I am going to run five miles a day, it might be really nice to make sure I was actually running 5 miles a day. Hey, it would be really nice to know when I was running even just one mile. Maybe map my route. See how long it takes me. See if I burned one or two calories….
- Water resistant Nike+ SportWatch features TomTom GPS for accurate speed and distance information, indoors or out–even if the GPS signal gets interrupted
- Track your time, distance, pace or speed, beats per minute (BPM) heart rate (with optional HRM sensor sold separately by Polar) and calories burned; view your mapped route with pace data/changes in elevation on Nikeplus.com, Stopwatch feature
- Track NikeFuel on Nikeplus.com after every run
Retail Price: $169.00
I don’t have an iPhone 5, but if I did, I’d want this. Because then my keys would be inside of it. And not laying in the grass somewhere on the tip of lower Manhattan.
- Apple iPhone 5, or iPod Touch 5 (Phone/mp3 Player not included). Does not fit the iPhone 4 4S, 3, 2, 1.
- Material: Lightweight soft neoprene that is molded to twist and bend but will not stretch out of shape. Washable with gentle soap and water, then air dry.
- Functionality: Exercise your right to a case is also a Sports Armband. Stays put while you run. Touch screen works through the clear cover!
- Bonus Safety Feature: Built-in hidden key holder to help you minimize carrying extra things when hitting the gym!
- Sizing: Arm band is small enough to fit smaller arms, yet adjustable velcro allows up to about 14″ biceps.
Retail Price: $20.95
It’s like a little backpack for your hand. A handpack?
- Weather-resistant zipper and reflective hits keep you and your gear safe
- See-thru conductive touch screen keeps essentials like money, phone, and keys protected while allowing you to see who’s calling you
- Listen to tunes with ear bud hole for easy access
- Easy-squeeze Tru-Flex bottle with reinforced leak-free, soft-sip Push-Pull cap
Retail Price: $39.99